Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Swiss Chard Rice


I read that Swiss chard is good for me. Nutritious. A super food. So what am I saving rainbow chard in the fridge for?  I find it arranged in such attractive bunches at farmers markets. An eye-pleasing display of green, pink, yellow and white. Ordinary green bunches pale in comparison to the vividly colored spidery leaves. They look crisp, pristine, like edible green-maroon giant lollipops!


The food world extolls the virtues of chard. Along with spinach, blueberries, sweet potatoes they offer your body a healthy respite from other 'evil' temptations. I like the slightly sharp taste. I like that you can sauté them fast. I like that you could use the leaves as a wrap for fish and chicken. Hmm... should I resurrect an old recipe using fish? But I know I cannot. Dinner is almost ready and I need a fast side to go with pork chili verde tacos. Chard gets a wash, dry and cut. Garlic gets slivered. Rice gets a rinse. I could be talking about a beauty salon !!!! Chard and rice, a tasty marriage, a quick side.


Swiss Chard with Rice
Makes 2 to 3 generous portions
DF, GF, VN, WF, VG, EF


2 cups thinly sliced Swiss Chard ( Rainbow or Green)
2 cloves Garlic
1/2 Onion
1 green Chili
3/4 cup Rice
2 tablespoons Canola oil 
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground Black pepper
1 1/2 cups Water


Wash and drip dry the chard.

Peel and slice the garlic into thin slivers.

Trim the chile and slice in half.

Cut onion into thin slices.

Wash rice well and drain.

Heat oil in a saucepan. 

Drop in the garlic slivers, onion slices and green chile and sauté for a few minutes. 


Add the chard and let it wilt for a few minutes.

Scrape the rice in and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.

 Spot the Pork Chile Verde!

Season with salt and pepper.

Add the water and bring to a boil. Cover, turn the flame down to the lowest degree and cook for 14 minutes.

Remove the lid and fluff rice before you serve it.

If you don't want to eat the chiles, just remove them before you serve the rice.


NOTES

Spinach or escarole could be easily substituted for chard.

I use Basmati rice. Any rice could be used.

Leftovers make a wonderful filling for burritos. Just add some grated pepper jack to the filling.



Pork tacos are filled. Rice is spooned onto plates. A chile has been eaten inadvertently. Not much remains in the bowl by way of leftovers. Healthy and tasty! Yay for Swiss chard.


No comments:

Post a Comment