Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Girls weekend-- Lemon Bars




What is it about  a girls's weekend that makes you feel wonderful? Let me count the ways! The sense of camaraderie. Basking in the love that we share. Partaking of the numerous well-thought out meals. But most of all the laughter. Anecdotes and stories are more meaningful. And the constant desire to please each other. Well that's my girls weekend!

So I make a hostess gift. Make, bake ... Whichever way you put it, a hostess gift from the heart, especially one that's dear to Vini's palate, is one I enjoy making. And so Lemon bars it is to be. As I grate lemon, I reminisce about this long-standing friendship of ours. Of the good times we've shared.                               and how much she likes the lemon bars. A little lemon makes the world a better place. Flour is measured, sifted and spooned. The crumb base bakes and the filling is whipped. Soon a heavenly aroma wafts through the house. And my bags are packed!























    



Lemon Bars
Makes 12 big bars to 16 small ones

Crust
1 cup Flour
1/2 cup Butter, cut into small cubes
1/4 cup Icing Sugar

Topping
2 Eggs
1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
3/4 cup Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon grated Lemon rind
2 tablespoons Lemon juice

Heat the oven to 350F.

Place flour, cubed butter and icing sugar in a food processor. Pulse till mixture resembles small peas.

Pat the mixture into an ungreased 8x8 nonstick baking pan. Press the crumbs into the bottom using your fingers.


Bake for 20 minutes.

Blend the topping while the crust bakes. Whisk eggs, sugar, baking powder, salt, lemon rind and juice for 3 to 5 minutes till light and fluffy.


Pour filling onto hot crust and bake for an additional 25 minutes.



Cool on wire rack for 30 minutes and cut into squares.



NOTES 

I use regular salt, not Kosher salt when I bake. It just tastes better.




The bars are not too sweet. Just a little tart and lemony. Perfect with that evening cup of tea. I pack some for Vini, layering then on wax paper. She hides them in the bottom drawer of her fridge. I guess she will not share with the girls! Then again I made them especially for her. So much for sharing on a girls' weekend!!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment