Monday, September 28, 2015

Roasted Delicata Squash




I look in amazement at a mound of delicata squash at the local grocery store. I am thrilled to bits as this rarely found squash is usually quite pricey. These red and green ribbed cylindrical gourds have come to my table through Shauna. Hooked, I am always on the hunt for them. So when this immense pile of pale yellow squashes beckons me with bargain basement prices, I grab more than just an armful.

Dear friends visit us. I want to cook something I haven't done in the past. I remember going on a delicata hunt with Shauna last year. After several attempts we find some and she makes an immensely mouth pleasing roast for us. I plan to follow suit. Ends trimmed, I halve the squash and then cut thin half moons. Their scalloped edges lie in a pretty pile on a baking sheet. Roasted in a blazing hot oven and then pan fried with onions results in an absolute delicious delight!


ROASTED DELICATA SQUASH
Serves 6

3 Delicata squash
2 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
2 Onions
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked Black Pepper 
1 tablespoon fresh Thyme
1 tablespoon fresh Oregano
2 tablespoons Parsley 


Heat oven to 400F.

Wash and dry squash. Trim ends. Halve them vertically and scoop out seeds and strings with a spoon.



Cut squash into 1/2 inch pieces.




Line two baking sheets with nonstick foil. Spread squash strips onto sheets in a single layer. 

Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a generous pinch of salt over squash.




Bake for 20-30 minutes till squash is golden brown. Watch them as they bake. You might have to move them as they roast on the baking sheet. Take squash out of oven.




Cut onions into thick slices.

Heat remaining olive oil in a saucepan.

Saute onions in oil till the edges are tinged brown. 




Add roasted delicata to onions. Season with kosher salt and pepper.




Chop herbs. 

Mound squash on a platter.

Scatter herbs over squash and serve.




The first batch I make is served with pasta. The second time around, I scatter plentiful herbs from Geet's garden over the squash. Both versions are a forkful of bliss. This is what the New World settlers must've felt when they discovered a new vegetable. The squash revelation causes quite the revolution. 




No comments:

Post a Comment